Today, Matt Cutts released new video explaining what points you need to take care before buying domain. Matt answered a question regarding buying a domain in relation of domain’s past history. Sometimes people end up buying domains which are previously destroyed by spammers using bad techniques.
So how can you research if a domain is good or bad before buying, here are some tips
- Site Command: This commands is very popular among SEO community when checking all indexed pages in Google, Matt said that if site:domain.dom does not return any pages, you need to check carefully in case buying existing domains from any other person. However this check is not for new domains, parked domains as they will not have any content pages.
- Search Domain Brand or Domain Name: Searching domain name without extensions can provide you good results about reputation of domains. If someone have written bad stories about domain or mentioned as spammer or banned, you should avoid such domains.
- Webmaster Tools: If you are buying domains from others, you can also ask from WMT verification for the any penalty messages or other messages regarding the domain name before buying.
- Domain Name History In Archive.Org: You can also check domain history in Web Archives, If you think that pages looks spammy, you can consider to avoid the domain name.
- You can also ask check with Google Analytics
Matt said that if you are buying domains name which are having issue and still you want to buy that domain name, you may submit reconsider request in Webmaster Tools by disavowing links.