The title tag is an important HTML tag that exists in all HTML/XHTML documents to describe the content of the page. The title tag is visible to the public only in the web browser’s window tab. A title tag is written above the body tag and therefore not visible on the page. However, search engine crawlers can see it very well. The title tag is the most important single tag from a search engine optimization perspective. This tag is considered important by On-page search engine optimizers. The search engine gets the idea about the page from the title tag and places it accordingly in search engine results. You can open the source of the page to see the title tag. For HTML validation it is a compulsory tag. Title tag is visible in four places.
- In the browser toolbar
- In a list of favorites
- In search engine results
- In social media sharing
It is not sure that Google will show your title. In some cases where Google thinks that this page should have some other title, it may rewrite and produce its own title to your webpage in search engine results.
It is also not easy to make an effective title for your page, as you have only 60-70 characters to tell all about your page. The following thing you must take care of while making a title tag of your website homepage and other pages.
- Initial letters of all words used in the title should be in Capital.
- Title should not be less than 30 characters.
- Title length should be between 60-70 characters including blank space.
- Start the title with the main keyword ( only once) of your page
- Try to use key phrases instead of keywords.
- Title should be relevant and descriptive.
- Avoid just keyword stuffing in the title.
- Do not repeat the same keyword or phrase.
- Do not use the stop words in the Title tag.
- Mention the company name or brand at end of the title.
- Separate your company or brand name with hyphens (-) or pipes (|)
- Create a compelling title tag keeping in mind both search engines and users’ experience.
- Consider Geo-Targeting for regional or local sites.
- Unique title for each page of your website.
- Avoid commas, special characters, and overuse synonyms.
- Write the title after you have finished the writing and optimization work of the page.
- Do not copy the exact text from your page and put it as a title.
Title tags have to be effective, readable, relevant, persuasive, and descriptive. The title should be short, start with main keywords, also include company or brand name. The title tag should be created both for user experience and search engine optimization. Meta tag optimization is not complete without this tag.