Their most recent update by Google, named “Penguin,” was launched in April 2012 and are expected to continue through the end of 2012, has penalized over thousands of sites with low quality links or too much same anchor text links on money keywords or low ratio of good links as compared to poor links and other SEO related link building techniques. It has hit all medium and small scale sites which are ranking well for the last many years by Google. Most of the customers of SEO companies are affected by the Google algorithm change. However Google Engineer Matt Cutts claim that neither Panda nor Penguin is penalties, they’re both algorithm update
What Matt Cutts replied to Search Engine Land Editor-In-Chief Danny Sullivan in an Interview about penguin
We look at it something designed to tackle low-quality content. It started out with Panda, and then we noticed that there was still a lot of spam and Penguin was designed to tackle that. It’s an algorithmic change, but when we use a word like “penalty,” we’re talking about a manual action taken by the web spam team — it wasn’t that.
Now the major question that all SEO industry is asking is what to next. Now post Penguin strategy for sites hit by the update is to remove low quality links and create good links and for sites not affected we have to create more quality links. t has increased the demand for high quality links and effective SEO techniques
Google Penguin Update has changed the whole SEO industry and what we concluded is as follow and will like to share with you
Post Penguin Linking Strategy (Off Page)
- Anchor Text
- Anchor text diversity
- Brand plus Keyword in anchor text
- URL in Anchor text ( www.example.com, example.com etc )
- Only Brand in Anchor text
- Link on “Read More”“click here”, “Learn More” “continue” “visit site” as Anchor text ( Junk Anchor text)
- Proper Ratio of “nofollow” and “dofollow‘ links
- “Nofollow” link is now a compulsory part of the natural links profile
- Social Media links as a social signal are important now
- Proper link type distribution (for example, Article, Comment, Directory, Community, News, Blogs and Social Media, etc.)
- Promotion of every page of the site instead of the only home page
- Promotion of each blog post on Social media
- Relevance and Domain Authority of backlinks
- User Data will also be considered for ranking
- On the basis of a study conducted by SEOS we concluded that get 60% links on brand and URL, 30% partial, phrase, and broad match keyword anchor texts, and 10% exact match on keyword including money keywords.
Since Google has devalued the impact of PR (PageRank) in their ranking algorithm, do not worry too much about getting links from high-PR pages, as long as the content of the link page is relevant to your website.